- Good Morning.
- Sign in with
International Intellectual Property Law (LL.M.)
The course is designed for students who already have some acquaintance with intellectual property law at a national level. Since regional and international arrangements in this field are an outgrowth of national laws, comparisons between approaches in those laws will form an integral part of this course.
- Historical development of International Intellectual Property.
- International institutions concerned with Intellectual Property:
- World Intellectual Property Organisation and the conventions it administers;
- World Trade Organisation: dispute settlement and TRIPs;
- European Union and other regional bodies.
- Specific fields
Topics to be selected from the following:
- Copyright and related rights under existing and prospective treaties and conventions (particularly Berne, WIPO Treaties, TRIPs). The challenges of the internet.
- Intellectual property over technology: scope of patent systems, biotechnology, access to medicines, limitations on patent rights;
- Intellectual property and global marketing:
- International arrangements concerning trade marks and unfair competition;
- Geographical and other denominations of origin, including types of collective marks.
- Traditional and indigenous knowledge.